Wednesday, May 02, 2007

One Down, One to Go

Well, well, guess who I had the privilege of crushing my boobs today, Donna, the same gal as did my fine wire last year. And it seems I made an impression (as did she). Because she also remembered me. And that has to say something, considering how many people go through that place in a year. Not that I am not normally memorable. Just that I think she remembers me for different reasons that most folks. So we had a little stare down, sort of circled each other, and then got down to business.

And here is what doesn’t work for me with her. I get triggered by her tone and volume of voice and her breathing patterns. You see they just ooze contempt and annoyance. Like “why can’t you read my mind and know that you are suppose to put your arm here and your shoulder here?” The answer would be … BECAUSE I AM NOT PSYCHIC. I tried to send that to her telepathically, but I don’t think she got it. She just kept sighing. What has non-compassionate people go into the caring profession? Or did she used to be nice and now is just burnt out because her job is so boring and mundane (and why is she mad at me, since I do my very best to add a bit of spice to her life, I mean really)?

And, as she does every year, she complained about my dense breast tissue (hello, that is some of what made me a candidate for breast cancer). Well, complained about the dense breast tissue in my right breast. Because now, years out from my left breast having received radiation, not only is the tissue not dense anymore, each year it just keeps shrinking, I am surprised they do and can do mammograms on it anymore. I guess that is just one of those side effects that they don’t mention at the time. You can have it removed outright, or you can radiate it and have it shrink away to nothing over a decade or so. Naturally that is more dramatic than it is accurate, but today, licence to be dramatic is mine!

The unofficial results? Things look the same as last year (which is a good thing). But because of my dense breast tissue I should follow this up with a bilateral ultrasound. Well, duh!? Haven’t I said that all along, the dang lump itself wasn’t discernable with a mammogram when it was 3 cm and cancerous. But here is the crazy thing; our medical system does not pay for that. Didn’t anyone learn how to spell PREVENTATIVE medicine in government? They’d rather wait for me to be in serious trouble than pay $200 and nip it in the bud early. Crazy I say. But since I have this handy/unfortunate little lump right now I get a two for one. Too bad it is only for the left (un-dense) breast. Maybe I will go back to my doctor and she what see can swing (since she learned how to spell in medical school).

Want some good news? My friend Jayn has volunteered to be my rock, my gal, my guardian. So as it turns out I won’t have to go unaccompanied to the ultrasound. Thanks Jayn, you’re a star!

2 Comments:

At 3:07 PM PDT, Blogger Alda said...

... learn how to spell PREVENATIVE medicine??

[Sorry, I just couldn't resist ;)]

Hope the ultrasound is as positive as the mammogram was. Hang in there. We're all rooting for you.

 
At 9:50 PM PDT, Blogger Signy said...

Nice catch, guess spell check doesn't do capitals. But doesn't that just make the point really. Fine tooth comb. FINE TOOTH COMB I say, that is what is needed on these issues.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home