Thursday, April 19, 2007

Nasty Needle Biopsy Anniversary

April 19, 2001 at 10:45am I went for a needle biopsy (which followed an ultra sound that couldn’t diagnose anything, but did rule out a cyst). I hate needles. As if that isn’t clear after having read any number of my other posts. But this needle had the added fear that comes from fearing one has cancer. Ooooooowwwwwwwwwww, scary. So needless to say I was uptight, and uncommunicative and generally in a sorry state.

I went with my friend Tanya Gee. And had no idea what to expect, but, to be honest was hoping it would be “not a big deal” (I mean apart from the needle part, which does, in retrospect make that statement a bit ridiculous, but hope lives in a vacuum I have found). So, there I am, strung out, not able to speak my mind even if I knew what was on it, and kind of cowering in the corner. In swaggers the doctor. Tells me it won’t hurt a bit (gee, where have I heard that before?) and proceeds to deliver one of the most physically vicious blows of my entire cancer journey (which I only came to know after the fact). It really was so outrageous. The force with which he drove the needle into my breast, repeatedly, REPEATEDLY, was extreme and intimidating. I was in shock. Body, mind and spirit.

This isn’t new information, I have made reference to this before in a post. And today’s post is not intended to scare people preparing for their own biopsy, but rather to really help us all to remember to have compassion when people we know go in for medical tests. They aren’t easy (the tests, as opposed to the people we know). They are usually scary (because hopefully we only ever have a “first time” and then never have to have it done again). Any yet most people usually put on a brave face and say “it’s fine”. Here is my request: do something nice for that person. Whether it is sending them a great card. Bringing them by some groceries. Going with them to the test. Or just calling to check in afterwards. Treat them special. Because they are. And they probably need to be reminded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home