Thursday, March 01, 2007

February Sucked

Well it has been ages since I have written, mostly because I have been absorbed in my own joyful journey (and not a bad place to be I might add). But recently I have been rudely interrupted. Well, no that is a terrible way to say it, rather it is that I have had the reality of life, and death, crash down around my ears in a most painful and prolonged way. The month of February 2007 was a devastating month of large losses.

Firstly, and closest to my heart, is the loss of my Aunt Disa. Who had been fighting cancer as best she could for about 8 months. She was courageous and willing to make changes and try new things. In the end, the cancer claimed her suddenly, which really is the way it should be, as this was a woman who attacked life and would rather be doing something, anything, than just sitting around. If cancer had taken her in that drawn out, aching, suffocating way, well she just would have hated it. She has left in her wake (or sort of instead of a wake) a lot of confusion and pain. And still, I am able to see her as someone who was always trying to do her best. May she enjoy the company of her two older sisters who went before her.

Next comes a professor who started her teaching career at Queen’s when I was there. I didn’t have her as a prof but knew her more socially since she was closer in age to us students than many of the ivy-covered, tenured profs. Her name was Shirley Taylor and she died of breast cancer. And so, for that reason alone, my heart feels heavy to know one more woman taken by the illness that flirted with me, but passed on by. Her impish smile and twinkling eyes will be missed. Not to mention her sharp intelligence.

Than we have my name mother (A relatively common thing in Iceland, to have a person after whom you were named. And the personality and longevity of your name parent is considered to impact the namesakes make up and chances in life). Obviously, my name mother’s name is Signy. Signy Stefansdottir. She was my grandmother’s baby sister. And I am very happy to report that she died at the ripe old age of 101. Mostly just from being worn out. Not a bad way to go. And she gives me something to shoot for. That apparently should be within my reach. And still it is a significant thing to lose her. My name mother. And that last one of her generation.

Henry Dorst, not a close friend, but a man I respect and have taken workshops with also died this month. Of cancer. He was probably in his late 60’s. And a cheeky man, always doing his own thing, not concerned with what people thought. Changing the world one feng shui workshop at a time.

And finally, last but not least, on the very last day of February (it has been such a very long month, for the shortest month of the year), Laura Whitworth, co-founder of The Coaches Training Institute, co-author of Co-Active Coaching, inspiration to tens of 1000’s, and a woman who changed the trajectory of the world with her vision and her work died of lung cancer. She fought bravely and hard. Like nobody’s business in fact. This lady was a fighter in everything she did. Powerful, purposeful, and clear. The world has lost a brilliant beacon of light with her passing. And yet she will live on and love on in so many ways through so many different people.

This posting is mostly to pay homage to all these fabulous people. And also a place for me to say, not that I haven’t already said it before, that cancer really, really sucks, and that if we don’t put some effort into containing this epidemic then forget global warming, there won’t be anyone left to complain about the heat. Come on people, let’s move on this!!!!

2 Comments:

At 11:47 AM PDT, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

It is always disconcerting when, despite their strong and valiant attitude, which is supposed to give them the winning edge, they die anyway. It makes you wonder if it does make a difference or is it just a crapshoot. And it seems unfair. I would not be a grand fighter, I'm afraid.

 
At 2:25 PM PDT, Blogger Signy said...

Well here is what I do know, their fighting, and their fighting attitude, was an inspiration to others, whether they were fighting cancer or something else. So that made a difference, and what else could you really ask for?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home