Thursday, July 27, 2006

What's So Great...

About my aunt? Well, let me tell you. She always tries to see what is good in life. To hold to an upbeat perspective. She is willing to try anything. She is courageous (she followed my mother to Canada, and set up a life here for herself and her daughter). She knows her mind and what she wants (have I mentioned she has a sheep farm, I mean who creates an Icelandic sheep farm in Canada besides someone who knows their mind and what they want, and is courageous). She really cares about her family, in the best way she can. She is passionate. She is open minded and spiritually curious. She is willing to learn. And so many more things. She has a big heart. She is open to sharing and asking for help. And, well, the bottom line is that she is a great lady. I am so happy to have her in my life. She was like a second mother to me, and took care of me and cared deeply for me.

Today I spoke to her directly. The first time since the news. She sounds so great. So positive. So present. We talked a lot, mostly about the lessons that come from cancer, and about the changes that it demands. She seems willing, even a bit excited, about what has to be done in her life so that she can move to a place of really fighting for it, and really enjoying it. She told me that she plans to model her approach after mine, both in terms of treatments and attitude. She plans to fight the cancer with everything there is, and everything she has. And while this all makes sense to someone listening in, well, for her to be saying this just days after her diagnosis, well, it’s big. And I honour her for it! I am not worried about her, and her chances of survival, with this attitude, she can and will move mountains. You go get ‘em!

1 Comments:

At 10:27 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your Aunt Signy, I really hope the good doctors nabbed all those nasty little cells and that your Aunt recovers soon.
-Sam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home