Saturday, November 17, 2007

Remembering to Write

Today I opened an email from someone I met last week. We only spoke for an instant (well for the sake of not exaggerating let's say we spoke for about 5 to 7 minutes). It was a sweet connection. The kind that isn't born of having things in common as much as sharing a heart. Somehow knowing each other. And then that moment passes, and we each moved on into our busy lives. We could have just forgotten each other, or, alternatively, one, or both of us, could find the way to connect again. And today, I opened this email. From her. It was short and simple, and brimming over with love and the kind of intimacy that cancer accidentally creates.

She wanted me to know how much of an impact on her I had had. She had visited my website, and read my blog. She was touched by my most recent post Heroic?. Wow. Wow because it meant so much that she took the time to write and tell me. And wow because I forget that my writing is good and that is matters.

Sometimes I forget to write. Or assume no one is reading. Or assume it doesn't make any difference, so why bother. And then I get this. In my inbox. Letting me know it matters, and someone is reading, and what I am writing is reaching people and touching lives. I need to know that. Or I stop writing. And getting her note had me go back and read what I wrote and notice that it is good, and it is of service. You see I need to write, for her sake, and mine. Because when I write I get filled up. And released at the same time. I have about half a dozen unfinished blog posts from the last few months. I don't finish them because I think... why bother? What difference does it make. Well it mattered to her. And that is enough.

Thanks for letting me know.

7 Comments:

At 11:47 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, how about writing some of those thoughts that are sitting there. before they shrivel
Dussa

 
At 1:13 PM PST, Blogger Signy said...

Excellent point! I will carve out some time this week. Thanks for keeping my accountable to doing the things I enjoy and love!!!

 
At 3:30 PM PST, Blogger deb said...

Hey you!

Just popping in; it's been a while. Are you remembering to write? Hm. ;) (just a little dose of ass-kicking in service of your creative motivation!)

Smooches,

Deb

 
At 5:36 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:43 PM PST, Blogger Darran Frisby said...

Hey Signy,

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!!!

Darran xo

 
At 8:09 PM PST, Blogger Caroline said...

I happened across your blog, and I just want to say thank you for your words. They are beautiful and so correct. Good luck with everything this new year, and again, thank you.

 
At 5:30 PM PST, Blogger Signy said...

Deb, well, no, not really. So some ass-kicking would be great. Bring it on!

And Darren, great to hear from you, I will actually be in TO leading Process with Lorry Schneider this weekend.

And Caroline, welcome. It can be a lonely road, and it can be a wonderful, community filled expansion of who you are as a person. From what I see so far, you are choosing the latter. Keep going,it is all worth it!

Love to you, and happy new year!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home