Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Cold?

Ohhh, I am in one of those moments that gets me into trouble in a day or two. I have what appears to be a cold trying to tickle its way down into my throat. I can feel it right there. And here is where I do this not so great thing... where I try to push it. I try my luck, I think I can out maneuver it. I will take vitamin C, and echinacea and zinc. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But what I am doing by doing all that is trying to not have to do what I know I have to do. Get some sleep. Cancel whatever I have to cancel, change whatever I have to change, so that I can sleep in, or take a nap or go to be early, or better yet, all three. If I don't do this, chances are high that I will pay for it. But right now I feel smarter than my cold. Can you believe that? I feel smarter than my body. Man, what am I thinking??!?

Truth is that I should be going to be early right now. Like instead of typing I could be using my nimble fingers to wield my toothbrush. But I made a commitment to myself. Tonight I blog. Why? Because I have already formulated this great posting, about Melatonin, and the general benefits of it, and the great side effect of it boosting white blood cells and helping prevent things like... ah, colds. Because I blog every other day, and today is the day, and there is no room for exceptions. Exceptions are for those not disciplined enough, they are for the weak. Yikes. Whatever happened to "Exceptions R us"? Whatever happened to self care? Whatever happened to putting my health first, over image, over "shoulds", over good intentions or good ideas?

Well, here is what happened to it... Good night, I am going to bed now.

3 Comments:

At 8:24 AM PDT, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

That cold was your nudge to continue putting yourself first ahead of all that other stuff, including us! Smart choice!

 
At 10:00 PM PDT, Blogger Signy said...

Ahh, yes, you are so right. It is like choosing joy, and yet, I have such a strong value of service, even at the sake of myself and my health, that I get myself into plenty of trouble.

But thanks for the reminder of the reminder.

 
At 3:28 PM PDT, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

That's like us (teachers) when we phone in sick...we feel so bloody guilty, we end up going in anyway! We seem to think work ethic and not letting others down is paramount in our lives despite how we feel! Other people continue to tell us we're nuts, and we agree, and yet, we still act this way! Total commitment can be a bad thing!

Take care! Sounds like you are on a physical high plain now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home